Women & HIV/AIDS Initiative (WHAI) is a community-based response to HIV and AIDS among cis and trans women in Ontario that takes into account the structural and societal factors that increase women’s risk factors for HIV.
WHAI’s objective is to strengthen the capacity of communities to support women living with and/or affected by HIV and AIDS.
The goals of WHAI are to:
- Reduce HIV transmission among women.
- Enhance local community capacity to address HIV and AIDS.
- Build safe environments to support women and their HIV and AIDS-related needs.
The Women & HIV/AIDS (WHAI) Coordinator works with any and all relevant groups and organizations to build local community capacity to respond to women’s HIV/AIDS prevention needs, and to improve the quality of life for women living with or affected by HIV/AIDS throughout our catchment area, including:
- Acting as a liaison between HARS and local women’s organizations and providing consultation, education and presentations to women’s groups.
- Participating in local planning initiatives relating to women’s issues.
- Providing resources and tools to promote HIV/AIDS prevention.